The comments on this blog are moderated. I have had some experience with blogging and have decided to moderate comments for the reasons given below:
1. I paid for this website and can do with it as I please.
2. Some people cannot express themselves without resorting to profanity. I suppose they think that since I am a Christian, I will be unnerved by a pile of colorful expressions. Wrong. I have worked at any number of jobs where the conversations routinely became far more colorful than they could imagine. In the past, I have even joined in the use of such colorful expressions. I will not be shocked. I could probably respond in a manner that might shock them more than they could ever shock me. However, I would like to keep the comments from heading towards the gutter. So I may allow mild expletives when there is a point or edit them out with a comment on your inability to express yourself intelligently but that is completely at my discretion. If you have an issue with my discretion, refer back to #1.
2. There are trolls. I don’t feed them. I don’t even let them get a place at the table. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
3. There are drive by commentors who make idiotic responses that consist of little more than cutting and pasting from the lower rungs of sensationalistic atheist websites. Occasionally I may let one get through just to make fun of them. Otherwise they may not see the light of day. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
4. This is my blog – not yours. I did not set up this blog so you could have a platform to promote your drivel. Drivel appearing on this site will be restricted to my own. Feel free to set up your own blog and post your drivel there or even criticisms of mine. There are enough free services that will give you the opportunity. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
5. I don’t care about your feelings of having your “freedom of speech” constrained. I don’t get to publish what I want in the New York Times. I don’t get to broadcast what I want to say on CNN or Fox or MSNBC. You don’t get to say what you want on my blog so stop whining and get your own blog and do your whining there. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
6. I will not approve comments that are personal attacks or threats on me, my family, my heritage, or the same for other commentors. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
7. If you have an interesting point to make about the article, including one that disagrees with mine, and can express it in a civil fashion, I will probably approve it. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
8. If you have posted a response to one of my posts on your own blog, feel free to leave a comment along the lines of “I have responded to this post at …” and give a link. I will approve the comment but whether or not I respond with another post is at my discretion. If you have an issue with this, refer back to #1.
8. If you have an issue with anything else I do relating to comments, please refer back to #1.